Experience you can trust – a local practice reaching back five generations
Photo of William H. Wilhoit

Insurance Coverage When the At-Fault Driver Has None

In the aftermath of a car accident, the insurance coverage of the drivers becomes an important issue. In a case where the other driver is at fault, Kentucky residents tend to rely on the at-fault driver’s car insurance to pay for injuries and damages. If the at-fault driver lacks sufficient insurance coverage though, an injured person may still be able to recover through his or her own insurance company. There are at least two types of insurance that may apply in such a case: Uninsured motorist coverage and underinsured motorist coverage.

Uninsured motorist coverage may apply in a case where the at-fault driver does not have car insurance, or where the accident was a hit-and-run. It is designed to cover physical injuries. There is a different, related type of insurance, uninsured motorist property damage coverage, that may cover property damages. There may be a deductible associated with property damage coverage.

Underinsured motorist coverage may apply in a situation where the at-fault driver did have insurance, but the insurance coverage is not sufficient to cover the other driver’s damages. It is meant to close the gap between coverage and medical expenses. An individual who has been injured in a car accident may be entitled to recover for lost wages, pain and suffering, medical expenses or other damages.

According to the Insurance Research Council, approximately 13 percent of drivers in the U.S. do not have car insurance. Most states do not require drivers to carry uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage, though a handful of states make one or both mandatory. An attorney with experience in personal injury law may be able to help injured parties by examining the types and sources of insurance coverage available.