Wilhoit Law Office
THIS is an advertisement
Do You Have A Legal Need? We Can Help
Experience You Can Trust

How to get delinquent child support

There are many Kentucky custodial parents who rely on child support payments. They along with non-custodial parents should be aware of how back support can be requested.

When they file for child support, custodial parents can also make a request for retroactive support. Any claims that are submitted for retroactive support are required to be supported by a list of expenses for the affected child.

Custodial parents should be ready to provide proof that no support was provided by the non-custodial parent. Evidence should also be submitted that shows the custodial parent tried to obtain the child support from the other parent. Proof will have to be provided that a non-custodial father was aware of his potential paternity.

A rebuttal can be made by a non-custodial parent if he or she demonstrates that support was provided in some manner. This may entail the submission of receipts for clothing, food and additional expenses. A court has the discretion to consider other forms of support if the non-custodial parent does not have to means to provide monetary payments. For example, regular child care may be acceptable. Maintaining detailed records about child support that was provided is a necessity for non-custodial parents. In situations in which receipts are not available, non-custodial parents may offer communication records or a witness who will testify that it was provided for the child.

Child support is often a contentious part of divorce proceedings, but disputes can continue long after the marriage has ended. If a parent becomes unable to meet those obligations due to a financial downturn, an attorney could assist in seeking a modification of the original order.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Wilhoit Law Office
103 South Hord Street
Grayson, KY 41143

Toll Free: 877-308-7131
Fax: 606-474-8834
Map & Directions