Wilhoit Law Office
THIS is an advertisement
Do You Have A Legal Need? We Can Help
Experience You Can Trust

Child custody modifications for disabled parents in Kentucky

It's common for one parent to end up with child support obligations after a divorce. Support obligations are based on the income of the parent in question. Therefore, if a person's income is reduced, they may be able to petition to have their payment obligations lowered.

If a noncustodial parent becomes disabled, it is likely that their income will suffer as a result. While there are some individuals who will be able to perform the same job functions with a disability, many will not be able to work as much or at all. As a result, parents who pay child support and develop disabilities will often be able to get a child support modification and reduce the amount that they are required to pay.

This can be a difficult circumstance for parents who receive support, but not all modifications will be permanent. If a paying parent only suffered a temporary disability, the payments should return to their normal level once a paying parent is able to work again.

There are generally two ways that issues related to divorce are decided. In a collaborative divorce, a couple works together to decide issues like alimony and child custody. This allows them to determine how they want these matters determined. If this is not possible, a divorce will be litigated, and a judge will make determinations related to the divorce based on family law guidelines. A lawyer could explain how issues like asset division and child support may be determined if a divorce ends up being litigated.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Wilhoit Law Office
103 South Hord Street
Grayson, KY 41143

Toll Free: 877-308-7131
Fax: 606-474-8834
Map & Directions